Background1

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Magic!

I know it has been a while since I have blogged... I actually have all the pictures uploaded and ready to be put in but it has been a busy season for me!  I would be remiss if I didn't write down some Christmas Magic in our lives that happened today!

First let me set the stage.  This morning our beloved car we have had since we got married finally decided to bite the dust.  Next week after Christmas we need to try and find another clunker Chris can drive to and from work with.  So Cortney and I had to drive Chris to work this morning unexpectedly.  By the time we got in our front door we had exactly 12 minutes to get Cortney and I dressed, fix Cortneys hair, find what she wanted to bring to show and tell, and individually package 20 snacks for her class and be back out the door.  (When it is their turn to bring snack they get to bring show and tell).  Some how we pulled it off and we were able to get her to class just in time!  But there is a lot of stress that has come from having to look for and buy a car, and having such a crazy morning.

I have also been somewhat stressed lately with my photography business.   Although I have had many happy clients, who were more than satisfied and let me know, I have had one customer who was unreasonable and gave me a pretty hard time.  I have been doubting my ability as a photographer because of that and wondering if it is even worth it to keep my business open if I am going to have people treat me in that way.  By nature I avoid conflict and always try to go out of my way to treat people (especially my clients) well so there is no reason for conflict.  Even though the pictures came out amazing (in my opinion) and I gave them more than they paid for nothing was really good enough for them and they decided to tell me that multiple times.  Let's just say I have been feeling a little down.

Then on top of that with the whole school shooting I just look at the world we live in and am saddened by what it is.  I have felt little hope and trust in people in general, and knowing that things have to get worse before the second coming it scares me to think of what is yet to come.

This afternoon Cortney and I had to run out to the store.  We needed to pick up a few things for an older lady in our ward.  We wanted to help cheer up someone during this season so we made her some chocolate crinkles, and went to the store to buy a nice plate, a card, and a poinsettia to brighten her day! 

As we were in the parking lot walking back to our car an older man stopped us and started talking to Cortney (this happens a lot because she is so cute)!  He asked her how old she was which she answered 3!  He smiled and said I have a grand daughter who is going to be 3 in January.  Then he handed Cortney a red envelope and said "here this is for you!"  We said thank you, and he walked quickly into the store and we quickly walked to our car because it was so windy today.   I buckled her in and then started driving to pick up Chris from work.  Corteny opened the card and then said "Money!"  I was thinking what?  The next red light I asked Cortney to hand it to me.  I opened it up and saw a $50 bill (wow!)and quickly read the note he had written inside.  It was a short note basically saying at some point in our lives he hopes we are able to pay it forward to someone else during a holiday season like he just did for us!

Heavenly Father must have known I needed a pick me up!  I can't even explain the change in my heart, and the renewed love and hope I have in people, and in the world.  We do live in a place where people care, and are willing to show kindness even to a stranger in a parking lot.  That kind old man will never know how much his simple kind act means to me!  And although I can never thank him personally, I can (and will) pay it forward to others in the future!   Because I want others to feel the same way I do now!  I have always looked forward to the Christmas season, because there is just a special magic in the air.  Today I was recipient of my own Christmas Magic, and I want to remember forever what it feels like, and spread it to others in the future!  Giving strangers a red envelope with some Christmas Magic inside in a parking lot will have to become a Christmas Tradition in our home!

Stay tuned for more posts soon!  Lots of Halloween and Thanksgiving pictures heading this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment