Background1

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Funny Parenting Moment

I have known for a while today will be a stressful day.  Chris has his final defense for his thesis today - and even though he has done an amazing job and I am sure it will go well...still kind of nervous.  On top of that his parents just got into town, and they are coming up today, not to mention he will be graduating in about 5 weeks and we still have absolutely no idea where we will be moving to.  I am a serious planner and it is driving me up the wall that we have no idea where we are going to be.  I know it will all work out in the end, and I am trying to see this as a chance to learn patience, but at the moment I am finding that difficult to do.

So we have established it is a stressful day, now Cortney gets up and is just not herself today.  Her sleeping schedule has been way off, which I am sure is a big part of her acting this way, but she is just pushing buttons all over the place.  Today she has been playing twenty questions, except all twenty are exactly the same one I answered 10 seconds ago.   She isn't really listening to what I am saying, so I have to repeat myself a million times, and she is doing everything I ask her not to.  I know with a toddler these things are expected but today was way more than she normally does it, and she knows it too.

So I sat down with her and we talked about how we need to choose to be happy and listen to mom the first time.  And then I asked her

"Have you been nice to mom today?"

Cort - "no"

Mom - "Why?"

Cort - "Wait yes I have been nice"

Mom - just gave her a mom look

Cort - "no I have not been nice"

Mom - "What do you think you should say to mom?"

Cort - "Just be patient"

After this I laughed for about 2 minutes straight,  totally broke the tension and stress.  I love being a mom - it is amazing and it has taught me so much, and I continue to learn everyday.  I love how even though I am the one that is supposed to be teaching Cortney, she is usually the one teaching me.

1 comment: